Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Vegas, Baby, Vegas!

Above: Yup, that there sign is referring to Normal Guy and Girl. Does winning the lottery make us less “normal”?

It’s summer. We are on our way to spend a long weekend at the “Lemieux Compound,” as Jason has affectionately named what I call our camps on China Lake in Maine. On the four-hour drive from Boston, we decided to purchase a few lottery tickets, one of which was a Mandalay Bay $5 scratch ticket, Jason’s choice. We won $5 in Kennebunk, which we crammed immediately back into the lottery machine. I won back $7, which we decided to save for the return ride home.

A great time was had by all at the Lemieux compound…s’mores, sea-doo riding, and watching fireworks from our boat. It was Jason’s second trip to our camps and we spent time listening to old 45’s, playing old-school Atari, and reading in our porch swing.

Sunday afternoon, we began the trip back home to Boston, with an additional passenger in my back seat: my sister’s ex-boyfriend, John (they’re “still friends”). He slept off and on throughout the trip, but he was wide awake whenever we stopped for snacks and lottery tickets. John is 19, 6’1”, and a bottomless pit. He also developed a gambling habit after his first trip to the Windsor Fair.

(Windsor Fair is held over Labor Day Weekend, and John attended during the Lemieux annual trip two years ago. Having turned 18 right before the fair, he discovered midway gambling and became addicted to the various games scattered throughout the fair. Anyway, I digress…)

We stopped in Augusta for the two Cokes Jason needs for the trip (it’s a fact) and to exchange our $7 for more tickets; Jason gave me three more dollars and told me to “have at it.”

I seriously debated… should I go for the Mandalay Bay again or choose something new? Jason had won twice on that brand, so why not? I walked out with one more Mandalay Bay ticket, a bingo ticket (my personal fave that I have won exactly once with, even though I have bought one every month for the past year!), and another random $2 ticket.

We hopped in my Camry and started talking about John’s Windsor Fair gambling addiction, which led to a conversation about Vegas, where Jason has been several times, including a relatively recent work conference. I was half-listening to the discussion, focused intently on the scratching of the tickets. I had already lost on my bingo (BIG surprise) and feeling rejected, I half-heartedly began scratching the Mandalay Bay ticket.

I scratched off three random numbers that did not match the winning numbers, and thought I had another loser on my hands. Then I saw something that did not resemble a number.

I continued with my nickel and finished unveiling a tiny palm tree.

Me: “Huh…”
Jason: “What’s wrong?”
I read the bottom of the ticket aloud.
Me: “See a palm tree, win a trip to Vegas.”
Jason: “And…?” (He must’ve thought I was reading the rules for no good reason!)
Me: “I think I just won a trip to Vegas!!”

Above: Normal Girl re-enacts scratching the winning lottery ticket that will bring us to Vegas...

John stared at the ticket in disbelief and Jason swerved between lanes as he sneaked peeks at the winning ticket. Can you imagine winning a trip to Vegas on a $5 scratch ticket?!? Me neither.

Apparently, we are one of 50 winners of a Mandalay Bay stay from the Maine State Lottery. We alternated between laughing and being in shock the remainder of the trip after calling both sets of parents to share our exciting news. (We might still be in shock!)

Upon further research, we learned that we won roundtrip tickets, a 4-day, 3-night trip with deluxe accommodations at Mandalay Bay, some spending money, a wheelie suitcase, and two tickets to see “Mamma Mia!”

Since I work (unlike a certain Normal Guy I know), I had to determine when would be the best time for me to take vacation from work. Ironically enough, it was the end of January.

Well… it just so happens that Miss America moved last year from Atlantic City to Las Vegas after 80-odd years, and guess what? This year, it is being held the weekend that we will be staying in Mandalay Bay! (Have I mentioned that I love Miss America and have had friends who competed in the pageant?)

Yes, I purchased tickets immediately and plan to drag Jason to the spectacle that Mario Lopez, a.k.a. A.C. Slater, will be emceeing. Vegas, Baby, VEGAS!!!

- Normal Girl (a.k.a. Keryn Lemieux)

1 Comments:

At 3:35 PM, Blogger Veritas99 said...

That's awesome! ...and I totally appreciate the re-enactment for those of us that couldn't be there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home