Monday, October 09, 2006

Normal Girl on Her Trip Goal: Shopping at Marshall’s

We interrupt the almost-finished Buffalo/Rochester recap for an interlude from Normal Girl, who is on the road this fall visiting high schools and college fairs in her capacity as an Assistant Director of Admissions at a Boston-area college. She's been finding some time for "marshallando" (as they say in PR), or shopping at Marshall's... - N.G.


Above, Normal Girl wearing lots of orange…

Here I sit at the Courtyard Marriott in Wallingford, CT, having almost completed my first three weeks of travel for work. In that time, I have learned several simple truths:

  • The thought of a maid cleaning up after me is liberating…and creepy.
  • Hot tub after standing in heels for 3 hours: Good….
  • Eating out every night is not as exciting as one might think (especially if you are a picky eater).
  • It is easy to become spoiled after living in a hotel for a week… (Just ask Normal Guy, as spoiled as they get).
I have taken it upon myself to accomplish several missions while I travel for the next month and a half. One is to finish two cross stitches, Christmas gifts for my two sisters. Another is to read as many books as I can; it makes eating solo every night a little less lonely. The third, and by far the most important, is….drum roll, please…shopping at every Marshall’s/TJ Maxx I come across in the various cities and towns that I will visit during my trek to thrilling places like Meriden, CT, and Wilmington, DE.

This goal developed during my first week of travel in Williston, VT. I had some free time between my college fair and eating dinner with a friend from grad school who moved to VT after graduation. I entered Marshall’s with the excitement of a child flying a kite for the first time. Fortunately, I don’t run through the clothes like a maniac (like that kid with his kite!), although that is tempting. I am very methodical in my shopping—aisle to aisle, seeking my sizes.

Sometimes I pull out hideous items for fun. Normal Guy has two minutes of proof of his on his camera (blackmail material). I start from the front, moving my way back until I lose steam around the housewares. I often get discouraged if the shoes are in the front, since they never have my size.

[With small feet (size 5 ½), I have been known to wear shoes from Stride Rite, a fact my friends cannot relate to. Ironically enough, I shook my head in disbelief after learning Normal Guy had been a Stride Rite Scholar during his studies at Harvard!]

Anyway, I began my search, and lo and behold, I found a pair of light blue UGG boots, size...5!!! A perfect fit. Only $60 compared to $145 in the 25 Victoria’s Secret catalogs that clog our mail slot every week. Jackpot! I also found a cotton sweater that I love. Needless to say, I felt a sincere sense of a mission accomplished on that sunny mid-September day.

Last week in Buffalo, we spent a fun-filled hour or so in Marshall’s. He filmed me perusing and made me model a wool blazer only meant for a blind 80 year-old. Although I only purchased sunglasses, he bought several items, but kept asking me if he should with his face covered with doubt. I guess being unemployed for the time being ***by choice*** has made him a little more of a bargain shopper…

This week has been less than fruitful (in terms of shopping). Yesterday, with an afternoon free, I learned that there were two, count ‘em two, Marshall’s within 10 minutes of my hotel! I will spare you the gruesome details, but leave you with a few simple facts:
  • When I entered the fitting room with my cart piled shoulder-level, the attendant narrowed her eyes to slits and growled, I swear...
  • You can’t find a suit there if you are a 2/4. It just ain’t happenin’.
  • I bought one sweater for $29.99 (reluctantly… I could have left without it).

Still motivated to visit the second Marshall’s, I hopped in my rental car, turned on some Cowboy Mouth, and drove the six miles to the Cheshire location. Actually, it was more out of obligation than motivation. See, Normal Guy had requested that I visit both and give him a detailed comparison. So be it. I entered the second store with less spring in my step. Again, I will spare you every boring detail:

  • It sucked.
  • I left.
I called Normal Guy to share all about my shopping extravaganza and realized bargain shopping can be exhausting. I needed a nap.

I will be in staying in the same hotel next week, so I may have to belittle myself by visiting the local outlets, since I’ve already exhausted the area Marshall’s. I will keep you posted...

'Til Next Time - Normal Girl

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home