Monday, August 21, 2006

What's This All About?

I'm just a Normal Guy. Normal Girl, in my opinion, is far from just normal, but she's convinced of it somehow. Sure, we have idiosyncracies that make us a bit unusual. For instance, we both hate mayonnaise and have become convinced there is a correlated global conspiracy to exclude us from group luncheons and family picnics. Sure, that sounds silly until you stop and think about it.

So what brings us here? It was an idea I've been rolling around in for the last few weeks. For the last seven years, I've been on a plane almost every week. Weariness of the weekly grind recently led me to quit my job and take a few months to figure out what I want to do with my life. I know you're supposed to figure that out when you're a teenager, but I'm hoping to use my 29th year for it. In any event, I know a lot about travel, more than anyone who hasn't been a road warrior for 25% of their natural lives.

Normal Girl, meanwhile, has lived in 11 states (nine of which sit on her "cannot live in" list). So she knows a thing or two about moving around.

For years I've been a subscriber to the glossy travel magazines: Conde Nast Traveler and Travel + Leisure. They're fun to read, but it always seems to me they're targeted toward a very different demographic than Normal Guy and Normal Girl. The $1000 / night hotel room in Monte Carlo looks lovely, but it doesn't fit into Normal Guy's budget (especially now that he gave up that consulting gig).

This blog (web page soon to follow) tracks our adventures from planning through execution. From time to time you might find something worth reading...

In coming weeks, you can expect reports from such exotic locales as Circleville (OH), Colchester (VT), Bayamón (PR), and China (ME).

- Normal Guy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home